Over Coffee

Well the draft has come and gone. The Fever selected Ebony Hoffman with their first round pick. Evidently this surprised the experts as much as it did me. Nancy Lieberman gave the Fever the lowest grade on her draft analysis. Draft Grades However, in looking at the Fever roster and the trade that got them here we can look at the situation more objectively. Charlotte essentially got Nicole Powell and Kelly Mazzante with the Fever picks involved in the trade. Indiana got Ebony Hoffman and Kelly Miller. So, is there a big difference between Miller and Mazzante? We don't know yet since Miller has been unable to play significant minutes at the pro level on the Charlotte roster. Let's say this turns out to be a slight advantage to the Fever or, at worst, a wash. That leaves Nicole Powell versus Ebony Hoffman. While Powell is a great talent, I don't think she is the player the Fever needed since they already have Tamika Catchings and Deana Jackson. No, a post player fits their needs. The Fever brass have tried to spin this as that they had their eye on Hoffman the whole time - evidently seeing something in her that the other scouts and organizations did not. So, had the Fever held on to the 3rd pick they would have had their choice of any post player in the draft. Nicole Ohlde and Vanessa Hayden were the highest ones selected. Vanessa would have fit the Fever's team but with the recent foot injury she probably would not play until late summer. I've never been a fan of Ohlde because of her frailness around the basket. So, all in all, I think the Fever did well. A 6'2" post player that weighs 210 pounds does add an air of strength to the team that they have lacked. The wild card in this deal that will determine who helped their team the most is Kelly Miller. If she starts, averages double figures and extends the defense of the opponent with her long range shooting then it'll be a success for the Fever. As it turns out, this will probably be a win-win scenario for both Charlotte and Indiana.

One thing is for sure! The Fever have put Kelly Schumacher on notice! This is her make or break year. It's time for the 6'4" center from UCONN to finally step up and reach her potential or be content to lose her minutes to Hoffman, Astou Ndiaye-Diatta, or rookie Ieva Kublina. Schu has the tools, she just needs to be more aggressive!

I understand the uproar in Minnesota over their teams inability to land Lindsay Whalen. It is so similar to the situation here in Indiana when Stephanie White was drafted by Charlotte even though everyone knew it was best for the WNBA and this franchise for her to come to Indiana. So, I empathize with Minnesota fans, but it isn't the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. In Connecticut they may never get over seeing Diana Taurasi in a Phoenix uniform.

Reluctantly, I renewed my Fever season tickets. The organization called me and asked why I wasn't renewing. I gave them my reasons - non-season ticket holding people being allowed to sit in our section, the poor basketball decisions I felt were being made by Krauskopf, the hiring of a male coach, etc. Then, two days later, I received another call - this one from current Fever player Stephanie White. She talked to me candidly about those situations, it was interesting to see her insights as well, but she sold me on the fact that as former players, if we don't support the current regime then it will surely mean the end of the league. I agree and so I sent them my $1200 check - and I'm glad I did.

Peace!
Dar


No comments: