Fantasy Birding Thoughts


So I was thinking....what if...what if I were to win the lottery someday!
How would that affect the birding aspect of my life? Oh sure, it would mean I could pay off the mortgage, pay off the car, all that boring crap...but just for a moment let's all allow ourselves to attach this kind of dream to our birding life! What would it mean? What would you do that you aren't now? Money isn't an object, so what does that do to ones birding opportunities? How does one prioritize when to go and where to go?
It's an interesting concept, no?
Heck, my birding fantasy nowadays is pretty much wrapped around my thoughts of retiring and what I might be able to do at that point. I'm hoping to be able to take a couple of ambitious birding trips a year - maybe to the ABA convention or a couple of festivals. But the majority of my retirement bird thoughts center around birding within my local area due to economics. So it's fun to fantasize about what one might do.
Any ideas out there??





1 comment:

dguzman said...

Hey, just found your blog--nice work!

I think about striking it rich all the time, and my birding would be affected as follows:
1. I'd build a birding platform like the one Julie Zickefoose and Bill of the Birds have.
2. I'd get a Swarovski ATHD80 cope and one of those super pro digital cameras that costs more than my house.
3. I'd pretty much make the entire backyard into a giant bird feeder, with feeding stations, water, birdbaths, etc. all over the place, amongst the bird-friendly landscaping.

I think the neatest thing would be the freedom. I'd get to birdwatch any time I wanted. My mornings would be spent with the birds, not getting ready for and coming to work. I think that would be the best part--just the time to enjoy life and nature.