Real Snow This Time!

Today it was a real snow. Not snow showers or snow flurries but an actual accumulating, white all over the ground, snow. Kat and I had a bet on the date of the first "true" snowfall. I lost, she won. Now I owe her a dinner at the Cheesecake Factory!

The Juncos are always fun to watch in the snow as they scratch an opening in the snow covered ground to uncover the strewn about seeds beneath. It reminds me of when I was a youngster and I would go to my grandma's farm and feed the chickens. But in reading this article about the food habits of juncos, I learned about their behavior of "riding a grass stem". I will be sure to watch for that now. I never obsreved them doing that before. The resourcefulness of these beautiful creatures makes me thankful that they share their lives with us. How appropriate for Thanksgiving!

No comments: