Winter birding in the midwest - what's one to do?

I start to feel this way every November, usually about 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Most of the fall migrants have passed through for the season, the leaves are almost all gone from the trees, the wind blows with a little more bite than it had last month. Winter birding season - UGH!

Usually in winter, I do a lot of waterfowl birding - at least until the lakes freeze over in January. Also, here in Indiana, going to Jasper-Pulaski Fish and Wildlife Area is a must see to witness thousands of migrating sand hill cranes. I have gone every year for several years and I still get the feeling of exhilaration as I walk from the parking lot to the viewing platform and hear the piercing sounds of their cooing and cackling. Then to get to the platform and look out at the thousands of birds is truly an awe inspiring experience.

The days get colder and darker during December. Of course there are always visitors to the feeder stations in the yard, but the variety of species is so much smaller. Last winter I read a book called "Birds of Winter" and it talked about using the winter to really study the behavior habits of birds and to practice looking for distinctive markings on each bird and trying to pick up on subleties within the species. So, that is one goal I have for this year to alleviate the normal winter birding doldrums.

Another winter activity that I am going to participate in this year is the 106th annual Christmas Bird Count. Many birders participate every year and make it an annual event! I've only done this by myself in the past, but this year, I have an accomplice! (Thanks, Kat!) We are just now in the planning phase but I am looking forward to making this the most fun holiday tradition in which I partake. Certainly, it will be the most anticipated.

January and February will be the times for studying the birds and trying to identify their unique characteristics. The weather here can be pretty ugly this time of year. But, for dreamers out there, with the necesary financial resources, there is a Winter Bird Festival in Morro Bay, CA. No way I can afford to go this year, but, hey, it's good to know there are options for us folks stuck in the dead of winter!

No comments: