Coopers versus Sharpie

On Thanksgiving morning, sitting on a tree limb outside in the back yard was a hawk. Quickly, binos were gathered to observe and identify this lovely visitor. As I focused in on it, I suddenly remembered the challenges associated with raptor identification. I fought the urge to grab the field guide and made myself study the bird as it perched and preened on the limb, reciting to myself the specific things I was seeing - eye color, tail shape, hood pattern, chest streaks, etc. I thought of the Pete Dunne video I saw on Birdsight that indicated you can only really tell the difference between Sharpies and Coopers Hawks by flight pattern. Of course, I reached for the field guide and it flew off. I never got to see the flight pattern as he disappeared behind the trees in a matter of seconds. I was pretty sure I knew what it was, but then I questioned myself. The more I looked into it, the less sure I was. The similarities are amazing! By sheer size and our locale, I was convinced it was a Coopers Hawk - and I still am fairly certain. But in studying these raptors, it sure does challenge ones ability to id them.

Saturday I got the latest WildBird magazine in the mail. (Always, one of my favorite days of the month!) I typically read it cover to cover upon receipt. In this months issue was an article on identifying birds by impression moreso than by field marks. As I read this and pondered my current methods, I realized that I already do this - as I'm sure many birders do - but I never knew how to describe it. Anyway, I practice this method first in any of my identifications. First I classify it into a group based on the general appearance of the bird - kind of like Petersons silhouette method. From there I can make more differentiations and rule out some species. But, once again, the recurring theme in identification that I learn and re-learn 100 times a year is that one must study the bird, watch it for awhile and memorize or sketch particular traits it has BEFORE turning to the field guide. I look forward to the day when I can spend hours in the field perfecting this skill, don't you?

No comments: