Sunday was a blustery day in Indiana - during the night Saturday at 3 AM I was awakened by a huge thunderstorm and howling winds. I hoped it would stop by daylight so I could see what might arrive behind the front at the woods in the back of my house. I was not disappointed. As I got out of the car after returning from the hardware store, the trees were filled with bird song. I grabbed the bino's and was immediately blessed with a flock of cedar waxwings swaying in the windy treetops. I counted 9 of them. Then I scoured the trees for other newbies. A pair of eastern bluebirds actuall came to my feeder! One sat on top while the other ate safflower. I saw tons of starlings and of course the winter finches had arrived. I saw one Common Redpoll - a first for my yard list! There were the usual suspects, crows, blue jays, cardinals, goldfinches, housefinches, house sparrows, a couple of downy woody's and a pileated. By this time I had to finally go and unload the car. Still no juncos at my place yet!

No comments: